Thursday 13 October 2011

Evaluation of preliminary task

What planning did you do?
Well, first of all, we discussed what the storyline would be about. We decided to have Emily walking down a corridor, entering the room and then talking to Lyndsey, who notices she's late for her job interview and then runs out down the corridor. 
Once that was all worked out, we thought about what shots to use for which part of the scene, making sure we're not breaking the 180 degree rule.
We then made a shotlist and a storyboard.

How was this useful, and how did you change from your plans?
It was good to be organised and it was a good idea to have planned out what shot we'd do, but in the end we didn't really stick to the plans that much and we just filmed the shots that we all agreed fitted best.

What camera skills have you developed?
I have learned quite a lot abut how different shot angles have a different effect on the audience. That has helped my filming-technique a lot. Instead of just filming from the same boring angles, I now alternate from high and low angles and close ups.

How confident are you with using the cameras, and has this confidence changed during the project? 
Seeing as since I was quite young my parents have had a film camera and then a few years ago I bought my own, I was already used to using camcorders. I am confident in using the cameras for fun and now I've learnt how to use the cameras in a more professional manner.

Give details of specific camera skills/ techniques you have developed and include areas where you lack confidence/ need to improve?
I definitely need to improve holding the camera steadily. I wobble a lot when i film and i have previously filmed using a tripod, but i do need to improve my freehand filming.  
One thing that I have learnt over the process of our preliminary project is that I have to LEAVE A GAP between scenes. We accidentally filmed over part of our conversation and ended up having to film it all again. I don't see it as negative point, seeing as it didn't take up much more time, because we already knew exactly  how to film each scene and filming it again meant we could improve parts of it and we also all learnt an important lesson. 

1 comment:

  1. Well done for posting your evaluation but it is very generalised and doesn't specifically reference your planning, the shoot and so on. I'll discuss in class, but vague waffle is something you must avoid. For example how did you execute the 180 degree rule? Where was the camera, where were the actors, what mistakes did you make.............

    You can add to your evaluation to strengthen and to give you the experience of referencing your production which is important in your coursework and exams.

    ReplyDelete